Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Date:
Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


any tips for wrapping a crown roast .

that doesn't look like a 5 year old wrapped it. It's one of my Achilles heel.

I can cut a nice one but wrapping it is a challenge. 



__________________


Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 1513
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


bucklester wrote:

any tips for wrapping a crown roast .

that doesn't look like a 5 year old wrapped it. It's one of my Achilles heel.

I can cut a nice one but wrapping it is a challenge. 


 Sometimes you can find a container in the bakery department that's just the right size. A round cake container. Maybe just the deep top part turned upside down. Or maybe just the flat, round, bottom part of the cake container. Set the roast on the round pan and then put it all in a large clear plastic bag tied at the end. Cut  off the excess plastic if there's too much. 

Sometimes you can find a small square box from your own wall deli, or a grocery box of just the right size. Wrap the bottom of the roast in foil that you stole/borrowed off the shelf. Since we're 100% full service we have a large assortment of plastic bags. Some are just right for a crown roast. Put the roast in the plastic bag and tie it at the top. Then put the roast in a square box with the top flaps cut off. 



__________________
-


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1713
Date:
Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


^^^^^^
Thats what i did. Use plastic cake containers from baker if you have them. 



__________________

 



Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 586
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


Back in the day we used a 12s foam tray doubled. Then we would wrapped the tips of the ribs with foil and gently over wrap it. It took a top-notch meat wrapper to do this with 18 inch wide film and only wrap it one time. If you double wrap it, the roast losses eye appeal.



__________________

Phil ( coalcracker ) Verduce

Resourse Page Manager

photo avatar-1585712_zpstb6kixfv.jpeg



Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 1513
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


Coalcracker wrote:

Back in the day we used a 12s foam tray doubled. Then we would wrapped the tips of the ribs with foil and gently over wrap it. It took a top-notch meat wrapper to do this with 18 inch wide film and only wrap it one time. If you double wrap it, the roast losses eye appeal.


 I haven't seen a 12s in 15 or more years. We used to put full cut rounds in them. Also, a "piggy pack". That was a bunch of bone in pork loin items. 1 bone in sirloin roast, 4 bone in country style ribs and a bunch of bone in loin chops. Also used e for bone in chuck roasts, but now those go in an 8P

 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 215
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


Excellent tips thank you

__________________
Allen Scott


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 603
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


We did it mostly as Phil did, except instead of foil we used small amounts of wadded up Resinite (and often booties)to over-wrap each bottom of the rib bone then carefully over-wrap the entire roast. I can't help but think how much better it would have been if we had a pre-sized package (boat and over-wrap) to pack, hold, and display crown roasts.
Coalcracker wrote:

Back in the day we used a 12s foam tray doubled. Then we would wrapped the tips of the ribs with foil and gently over wrap it. It took a top-notch meat wrapper to do this with 18 inch wide film and only wrap it one time. If you double wrap it, the roast losses eye appeal.


 



__________________

---

Jimmy the Butcher jhenry@airpower.com

www.linkedin.com/in/jameshenry/



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Date:
Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


thanx for the in put guys.

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 28
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


Use a bacon box. Just put the paper in the middle of the roast to keep its shape. Make it pretty. Make it awesome. But don't make it look like a rookie wrapped it with paper. Show your customers you care.

__________________

Jeff Quenzer

-


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1713
Date:
Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


jayroller67 wrote:

Use a bacon box. Just put the paper in the middle of the roast to keep its shape. Make it pretty. Make it awesome. But don't make it look like a rookie wrapped it with paper. Show your customers you care.


 That is a good idea.   

Can I get you to tell us the story about that crown roast in your picture?



__________________

 



Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 1513
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


fdarn wrote:
jayroller67 wrote:

Use a bacon box. Just put the paper in the middle of the roast to keep its shape. Make it pretty. Make it awesome. But don't make it look like a rookie wrapped it with paper. Show your customers you care.


 That is a good idea.   

Can I get you to tell us the story about that crown roast in your picture?


I don't know about the rib in the picture, but: 

Safeway buys ribs already prepared like that. The cutters don't prep em that way.

They cut between the ribs and call them Tomahawk Chops and put it in their full service case. They cost a little more than regular rib steaks. Plus you get all that extra bone. Not a good deal, but some customers like em. However, most of them get cut shorter a day or two later and reduced and put into the self serve counter. 



__________________
-


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 1713
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


Burgermeister wrote:
fdarn wrote:
jayroller67 wrote:

Use a bacon box. Just put the paper in the middle of the roast to keep its shape. Make it pretty. Make it awesome. But don't make it look like a rookie wrapped it with paper. Show your customers you care.


 That is a good idea.   

Can I get you to tell us the story about that crown roast in your picture?


I don't know about the rib in the picture, but: 

Safeway buys ribs already prepared like that. The cutters don't prep em that way.

They cut between the ribs and call them Tomahawk Chops and put it in their full service case. They cost a little more than regular rib steaks. Plus you get all that extra bone. Not a good deal, but some customers like em. However, most of them get cut shorter a day or two later and reduced and put into the self serve counter. 


 I see that is just one beef rib now.  Thanks for setting me straight.   Hey do ever cut bone in filets? Someone was asking about them. It seems like they are a new thing for fancy restaurants.  . 



__________________

 



Moderator

Status: Offline
Posts: 1513
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


fdarn wrote:
Burgermeister wrote:
fdarn wrote:
jayroller67 wrote:

Use a bacon box. Just put the paper in the middle of the roast to keep its shape. Make it pretty. Make it awesome. But don't make it look like a rookie wrapped it with paper. Show your customers you care.


 That is a good idea.   

Can I get you to tell us the story about that crown roast in your picture?


I don't know about the rib in the picture, but: 

Safeway buys ribs already prepared like that. The cutters don't prep em that way.

They cut between the ribs and call them Tomahawk Chops and put it in their full service case. They cost a little more than regular rib steaks. Plus you get all that extra bone. Not a good deal, but some customers like em. However, most of them get cut shorter a day or two later and reduced and put into the self serve counter. 


 I see that is just one beef rib now.  Thanks for setting me straight.   Hey do ever cut bone in filets? Someone was asking about them. It seems like they are a new thing for fancy restaurants.  . 


 I've only cut them once. A special request from a customer maybe 5 years ago. Never seen them for sale anywhere. 



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 603
Date:
RE: Any tips for wrapping a crown roast?


There is an Italian steakhouse in Wixom, MI (ristorantevolare.com) that sold these as Tomahawk Steaks, but now I see they call them Cowboy Ribeye
Burgermeister wrote:
fdarn wrote:
Burgermeister wrote:
fdarn wrote:
jayroller67 wrote:

Use a bacon box. Just put the paper in the middle of the roast to keep its shape. Make it pretty. Make it awesome. But don't make it look like a rookie wrapped it with paper. Show your customers you care.


 That is a good idea.   

Can I get you to tell us the story about that crown roast in your picture?


I don't know about the rib in the picture, but: 

Safeway buys ribs already prepared like that. The cutters don't prep em that way.

They cut between the ribs and call them Tomahawk Chops and put it in their full service case. They cost a little more than regular rib steaks. Plus you get all that extra bone. Not a good deal, but some customers like em. However, most of them get cut shorter a day or two later and reduced and put into the self serve counter. 


 I see that is just one beef rib now.  Thanks for setting me straight.   Hey do ever cut bone in filets? Someone was asking about them. It seems like they are a new thing for fancy restaurants.  . 


 I've only cut them once. A special request from a customer maybe 5 years ago. Never seen them for sale anywhere. 


 



Attachments
__________________

---

Jimmy the Butcher jhenry@airpower.com

www.linkedin.com/in/jameshenry/

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us


Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard